Time. These days, it is a commodity too few of us can afford. We rush from one meeting or appointment to the next, overscheduled and overwhelmed. When it comes to managing our health, today’s work-life balance means we don’t always have the luxury of investing precious minutes in doctors’ waiting rooms. In fact, on average:
- patients spend over an hour waiting to see their physicians1
- see their physician for less than 20 minutes2
- travel 40 minutes to their appointment3
Patients aren’t the only ones under time constraints. On average:
- primary care physicians would need 21.7 hours per day to provide all acute, chronic and preventive care for a panel of 2,300 patients.4
- physicians now spend 49% of their time on administrative matters, while spending only 27% of their time on actual patient consultation5
As a result, there is a decrease in patient satisfaction and increased stress and job dissatisfaction among physicians.
It is clear that the current healthcare environment has become unsustainable. Concierge or membership-based medicine is one solution. In addition to other benefits, a concierge membership practice provides members with same-day or next-day appointments with their physician. Physicians practicing in a concierge environment typically have smaller patient panels, which means they can spend more time seeing patients instead of pushing paper and playing the game of “cat and mouse” to prevent long patient wait times.
Because a concierge medicine practice supports strong physician-patient collaboration, both individuals now have more time to focus on patient wellness and preventive care. This physician availability and continuity, as well as reasonable wait times, encourage trust between patients and physicians. In turn, this trust creates stronger physician-patient relationships, which leads to higher patient satisfaction and wellness and increased job satisfaction and less stress for physicians. Everybody wins.
It’s about time.
New York, NY 10010